Friday 26 October 2012

Final Props List for "Aaron" - Revised

  • Large Knife 
I found a large kitchen knife at home, which is quite heavy and has a black handle. I decided to use this one because not only did it look menacing, but it looked good in the hand of the actor. A smaller knife would have been lost in his large hands, and upon reviewing the footage, it overall looked a lot better when it was wiped clean. It is something similar to the one in the image shown - however the blade is a little bigger and shaped slightly differently.
  • Big Earrings
I used the earring to represent the idea of wearing things made of a mixed fabric as I did not want to express this explicitly as people might not understand it. There only being one earring also signifies a sort of danger because it infers that a struggle has taken place. It is a relatively big earring, with a black inside and small, faux pearls on the outside. I bought them from Amazon and hence the exact model is shown in the image to the right.
  • Polaroid Camera
I was originally going to use polaroid images, then due to the impracticality of producing these I decided against it. Then, torn between using film and a polaroid camera, I consulted a small group of people who helped me to decide that, in the situation I was creating, a stray polaroid camera in the woods would be most suitable for a thriller film situation.
It is a standard black polaroid camera with a pop up flash, as seen in the image to the right. Due to it's aged look, I think it will create more of an ominous mood, and create more questions for the viewer.
  • Rosary
I am using a rosary with an image of Jesus Christ on it to portray the idea of "false idols". It is relatively simple, but it should look good hanging from a tree branch, which is what I have envisaged in my piece so far.
It will appear in both the woods, and the gloved hand.
  • Fake blood
I will use fake blood throughout the piece - it will appear at the base of the polaroids, on the rosary perhaps, on the knife, swirling down the sink, and on the earring. The gloves of the antagonist will definitely have it on to ensure that he is conveying a message of danger. Instead of buying it due to it's high cost at this time of year, I will make it myself using: granulated sugar and water / golden syrup, red food colouring, green food colouring, and potentially thickening agent in order to ensure it has the correct viscosity.
  • White cotton dress
I will use a plain cotton dress to clothe Sadie in the scene. She will have bare feet in order to portray innocence and make her appear even more vulnerable. The dress I will be using is my mum's because I don't want to ruin anything that belongs to Millie. This is going to be helpful as it will be too big for her and this will yet again instill a mental image of her being vulnerable to the audience.
This has reference to Helmut Nickel's "Black Hats" theory, in which the good characters are in white and the 'bad' characters are in black.

  • Latex gloves
In order to prevent himself from becoming "unclean" and "defiled", Aaron covers his hands in gloves whilst killing. This also reflects how easily he shrugs off the murders and how easily he casts them aside as something unimportant and the people as disposable.
I will use standard white latex gloves. As they are white, it suggests that he is committing murder for reasons he thinks are good.
In Dexter, he uses gloves in order to make himself untraceable. They are different gloves in my piece (in Dexter, they are, I believe, leather), but they portray the same message.

No comments:

Post a Comment